Thursday, April 29, 2010

New Adventures

Good Morning Everyone!

Don’t hold your breath for brilliant thoughts in this blog, as I just woke up 20 minutes ago and am now at work, with not much to do.

The purpose of the posting is basically to let y’all know what’s been going on in my life. Big things are coming!!

It is now official that this is my last quarter at SPU. I am in my junior year here, about 4 quarters away from getting my degree, and I am withdrawing! My plan is to take a year away from formal education and go into the world and learn. My classroom with be a farm somewhere in the Northwest, or California perhaps. There are lots of farms I found through a website (WWOOF.org) that trade room and board for 4-6 hours of work a day. So I am gonna go try it out. If I love it (as I suspect I will) then hopefully I can just keep doing it. If I don’t, then I have a few other possibilities in my brain of things to try out.

Hopefully this doesn’t catch to many of you by surprise as I have had a tough time at school since I got here my freshman year and am always talking about dropping out. I do not at all regret the past three years and I know they were needed. Though I am leaving without a degree, I really sense that this season is over and it is time to go to the next one. Where I will be and what I will do is yet to be discovered, and I am really excited (though slightly terrified) about the unknowns that are ahead of me.

This summer I will still be working at a YoungLife camp in Oregon called Breakaway, so I won’t be going to my farm until September or October.

Of course, I will be writing all along the way so y’all can read about my adventures.

And if anyone has a dependable car they want to sell for cheap let me know!

Peace be the journey,

Joy

5 comments:

  1. my friend just talked to me about WWOOF the other week! That's awesome! I love that you are pursuing where your heart will feel alive, and I think you'll love it.
    Love you Joy MTR(S)M. [the s is for syrup]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had a blog! We need to chat soon! :) PS- I'm excited for your life and what God is doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can have our van. The valves are clacking a little, and it's not very pretty. But it might get you around until you find something better. Even if it got you through the summer. When you come home you are free to look at it. If you don't want it, and want to hold out for something else, that's fine, too. It probably needs the battery charged...
    Other than that, you know how I feel about this new adventure. It sounds right. I'm glad for you.
    lovies

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.
    Thanks for your sweet wisdom yesterday. I came home and had another thought-provoking comment on my blog from Ben's brother.
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. cool, joy! i am glad you are at peace with where you are going, instead of feeling suffocated by the educational system. i'm excited for your summer and for wherever you are going...if it's somewhere cool i'll come visit you :)

    ReplyDelete