Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One Month

I have been in San Diego a whole month now. When I was younger, like a month ago, one month seemed such a long time. So much can happen within a month. My whole life could be changed in one month. When first got here one month seemed like when I would finally find life settled again. I figured I would have a job, have some idea of their area I would live in and therefore be able to start building friendships and community, and that I would be able to support myself and not have to depend on other people for EVERYHING!


One month has passed. I am jobless, living even more on the graciousness of others, have no idea where to build community or friendships, and have no money. One month wasn’t a magical number. One month was just a series of weeks spent searching for jobs and aching for a place to call my own home.

I hit a wall yesterday. I know, I seem to hit a wall at least once a week. I guess this one looked much like the others, too. I asked God, again, what the Hell I am doing here, where the Hell he is, and if he really has any sort of plan for good things like he told me. I cried alone, cried to Deanna, cried to my mom, cried before I fell asleep. All day I was trying to figure out what plan B was. Then I realized, I didn’t have a plan B. I felt like God said don’t plan anything, so I didn’t, I just followed. Now I am realizing that I risked all I had, which wasn’t much compared to other people, for me it was all I had. I risked all the money I had and any sort of plan for myself I had had. I put everything on the line because my spirit heard God’s voice say, “San Diego.”


I don’t think I heard wrong. I don’t think God has left me here. I don’t think he forgot about me nor the good things he has for me. I just don’t know where he is or what he is doing. I don’t understand what the point is anymore.


Yesterday I had to ask myself the hard question. When do I have to call it quits, or at least time for a retreat? At some point I have to try something else, because I can’t continue like this for that much longer. I am not ready to call it quits today, though a part of me would love to be able to do that. Calling it quits doesn’t help much, though, because I no matter where I go I have the same problem.


Yesterday my mom told me she would pay for me to come home if I needed to. She also told me not to come home like a dog with my tail stuck between my legs. She said I have nothing to be ashamed of.

I feel ashamed though. I feel like everyone told me it wouldn’t work out, or that the job market was crappy and it would be really hard to find a job. This isn’t entirely true because I had lots of people encourage me and tell me to go for it. I think it is my own self telling me, “I told you so!” The ashamed part of me wants nothing to do with the brave and maybe foolish side, cause the ashamed part is super prideful.


I don’t need to feel ashamed about trying this, though. If I have to go home for a while and regroup that isn’t failing, right? I was being obedient to the Lord, giving him my whole life and doing my best to live it in surrender.


I have no neat conclusions, no fantastic revelations about the kind caring of God. I know he loves me, he cares deeply for me, he is kind and full of gentleness and that he loves my brave and willingly foolish spirit. I just don’t understand why it seems he has left me.



3 comments:

  1. Hey Joy,
    I stumbled across your blog again just now. This happens to me from time to time when I type something into my address bar and your url comes up. I wanted to thank you for your raw, honest thoughts. You may find this ironic, but they bring me hope and a smile. Do you want to know why? I have hope because you're safe enough and well enough to think and write, so I know the Lord must be watching over you. I smile because no one, least of all me, has any idea what he is up to. I have double hope because I'm safe enough and well enough to write to you and I doubly smile because I still have no idea what he is up to. :)
    Goodnight.
    Michael Schultz (Wildhorse SS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parable of the Butterfly
    A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole.

    Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

    So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon.

    The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

    The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.

    Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

    What the man, in his kindness and haste, did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

    Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If God allowed us to go through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us.

    We would not be as strong as what we could have been. We could never fly!

    I asked for Strength.........And God gave me Difficulties to make me strong.

    I asked for Wisdom.........And God gave me Problems to solve.

    I asked for Prosperity.........And God gave me Brain and Brawn to work.

    I asked for Courage.........And God gave me Danger to overcome.

    I asked for Love.........And God gave me Troubled people to help.

    I asked for Favors.........And God gave me Opportunities.

    I received nothing I wanted ........And everything I needed!


    God Bless you JoyRainbow, He is watching over you and has a plan for your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Joy!! I'm proud of you for following God where He told you to go. We may not understand His reasons sometimes, but He usually lets us in on it sooner or later!! His timing may seem slow to us, but it is never late. I'm sure He was trying to teach you something..... humility, patience, reliance on Him....... something awesome I'm sure! Keep on trusting, keep on hoping, keep on persevering! :) Much love from the Reinmuths :)

    ReplyDelete