Friday, August 28, 2009

Hello Everyone!

I made it safe and sound to Uganda, though my butt is still sore from so much sitting! My longest flight was about 8 hours, which wasn’t too bad because I was so tired I slept for over half of it.

So far life in Uganda is very different from the US, but also very similar. The toilets are outside and you must squat over a hole in the concrete. But that really isn’t as bad as you would thing. And bathing from a bucket is quite nice! You just soap up and rinse off and you are done! Though it feels a little awkward to do this outside without a roof over my head. There are walls all around me, don’t worry.

I live with a wonderful Ugandan family, which has become my family, as well as a roommate from my program. My Ugandan dad’s name is Henry, and he is a pastor of a church just up the road from us. His wife is Irene and she goes to school in Kampala where she is studying to be a nurse. They have three kids which are now my Ugandan siblings; Elijah, Rebecca, and Enoch (pronounced Eh-nook). They have helped Holly (my roommate) and myself feel very at home. And the food is fantastic, though repetitive. My favorite food thus far is Matoke, which is kind of like mashed potatoes, except it is bananas steamed in banana leaves. There is not much flavor, but when you put soup broth on it, it is wonderful!

Tomorrow we are all leaving to go to Rwanda for 10 days. Please pray for me during this time as I am concerned about the suffering I am going to see. While I do not shy away from suffering, I get overwhelmed when it is so much all around me. And we have a 15 hour van ride tomorrow and I get motion sick just thinking about it! So please pray!

Love to all!

Joy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joy.
    I sent you an email, too, in case you aren't seeing the comments here. This is so wonderful to hear about your new family already. I didn't expect that. I know you'll do fine in Rwanda. I will look forward to hearing about your insights, feelings...etc.
    Love you
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. joy i'm praying for you and the people in Rwanda and that the suffering will end i miss you so much and i hope to see more of your blog
    LOVE YOUR SISTER
    KATE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy! Love the blog and look forward to your posts. I want to hear all about the food, the Lord, the family you are with, etc! Praying for you daily more than once!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joy! I sent you an email and a message on your facebook page. Thought I would also comment here! I am watching McClintock but what I really wanted to say is that I have not been able to find a calling card for Africa. I sent a message to my friend Danny who works closely with Africans, and I think he will be able to tell me what to do! I love you!

    Yer ma!

    ReplyDelete