Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Flesh Pop's, Talapia, and The Nile

A Talapia, the Boat Driver, and Brian.
The Source of the Nile
The biggest snail I have ever seen!
Mmmm...Meat on a Stick! AKA Flesh Pop

Sorry, everyone, that this blog is a day late. Yesterday I was not in a state to write a blog.

This past weekend I was in Jinja, a town in western Uganda near the Source of the Nile. So I got to see the Nile! And I got to take a boat ride up the Nile a little ways. I feel like being on the Nile is something I have dreamed of doing since my homeschooling days of studying Ancient Egypt. And though I was in Uganda at the beginning of the Nile, I still felt connected to Egypt and the end of Nile. It was really cool knowing I was floating on the same water Moses floated it, and that God turned to blood. And probably Jesus swam in the Nile during his time in Egypt.

Jinja is a much quieter town than Mukono. It feels smaller, but it is more developed with sidewalks and paved roads. It had the same feel as downtown Ellensburg with lots of little shops and cafĂ©’s. We also got to stay at a really neat Safari resort place. It had “real” showers (meaning cold water coming out of a shower head above my head, rather than a bucket of water to splash on myself), a pool to swim in, and lots of interesting creatures to look at. It was nice to have a weekend away and a place to relax and enjoy the company of my fellow students.

Funny moments: in Uganda they still sometimes use Bride Price, so on our boat ride on the Nile one of the guys, Manny, tried to sell one of the girls, Julie, to the boat driver. The agreed upon price was 8 cows, an Island at the source of the Nile, a stork (they have huge ones here), the fish the boat driver caught, and the entire Nile. It was probably way more funny in the moment than to y’all reading it now. Another funny moment was when Manny decided to be the first one to drink the Nile! About 30 second after he drank some of it, he realized what he had done and said “My doctor specifically told me not to drink this water. How hard is it to avoid drinking the Nile? Not that hard!” Again, probably funnier at the time than reading it.

But I am feeling lots more bonded to the other students around me, and I really enjoy being with them most of the time.

Unfortunately, as soon as I got back from Jinja I hit an emotional wall and the last two days have just been shitty (sorry, those of you who don’t like cussing… sometimes I don’t know how else to describe something). I just feel ridiculously emotional and rather alone in that. Even though most of us are feeling this way… I just miss my community in Yakima and Seattle a lot. And I know what I need to do to feel better, I think, but it is scary for me to do it so I am still stuck. I could use a lot of prayer this week, and any messages of love in any form. I think the novelty of being in Africa is wearing off (I have been here a month), and I am homesick, and I miss having space to be emotional and get it out. I am feeling a little constrained in that area. And I am feeling so overloaded with schoolwork! So please pray for me.

Love to all!

Joy

3 comments:

  1. JOY JOY JOY!!! we are still here for you even though we are so far away!
    i'll admit i have had many of the same feelings and would probably have them more often if i didn't keep myself so distracted...i've decided it isn't bad to be homesick! you are blessed with amazing family and friends and it's okay to MISS them! i do! everyday! but its also an amazing opportunity and you want to be ALL THERE so you don't miss anything. when koreans give or receive gifts, they give or take it with BOTH HANDS. and with this adventure, you can either receive it with your hands closed, or extended, ready to receive what God has for you. LOVE LOVE LOVE and i'll be praying for you, sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy! I started reading your blog today. I'm glad that your having an amazing time (amazing can be amazing good, amazing bad, amazing that you can still get up every morning)..amazing. You are an incredible woman and one of the strongest that I know. I am praying for you and I love you very much. I love your blog and I will definitely be tuning in every Monday to see what your new adventures entail. I love you sweetie!! Don't forget to read to succeed, but when in doubt C's and D's get degrees. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy! So fun to read about the Nile, about Bride Price...which I think I will instate for all the McCracken women and possibly charge a Groom Price as well! Think of the cool stuff I could get if I charged for each of you! Ok...back to you...I am glad you are on this adventure. God is revealing amazing things to you, and though it seems long before you get on that flight back to the states, He is carrying you all the way. You are His beloved, His bride, and He already paid the price for you so you are completely His. I will pray this week (as I do each night and morning!) for strength and courage to live the adventurous life God has created you to live. And even though I obsess about MY grades, you don't have to worry about yours....A's and B's and C's and the occasional D's do get degrees (and even an F once in awhile although then it takes YEARS to graduate...:)) Lovies, yer momomomomomom who loves you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete