Sunday, September 13, 2009

Food!!! Beans, Matoke, chipati, and some other stuff.
In the boat on Lake Bunyoni (Photo courtesy of Brian Longmore)
A bunch of us in front of Hotel Rwanda in Kigali (the real one, but they also filmed it here I think). The people are (left to right) Deanna, Brian, Phil, Joy, Jennifer, and Eddie. Photo courtesy of Brian Longmore.

Hello everyone!

Last week was my first week of official classes at Uganda Christian University. By Friday I was having a hard time remembering that I like to learn things. Most of us North American students were feeling overwhelmed with the amount of reading we are supposed to accomplish in very little time. I coped with that by not reading!! Just kidding. I read a little.

Many of you heard about the riots that happened in Kampala the end of last week. By Saturday night the city was getting back to normal. For those of you that didn’t hear about them, you can read about them here: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/09/12/uganda.riots/index.html

I was impressed with how the directors of my study abroad program handled the riots and keeping us safe. They were able to convey a need for caution without freaking us out! And, as I live with an Anglican Reverend, my house was very safe. So rest assured, everyone, that I am in good hands and am being well looked after!

Besides all that, I feel like I don’t have much to report. Last week was challenging, but mostly because I was adjusting to living with a new family, in a new culture, and trying to figure out how classes work at this school! So I was pretty emotional all week. But I got through it and am feeling a lot more settled and at home now. I have gotten very comfortable with bathing from a bucket! Later on I will write more about that experience, along with other daily things I experience.

That is all for now! I am going to make Monday’s my regular blogging days, and then if something exciting happens in the week I might post again.

Oh, I wanted to say Thank You! To everyone that has written me on Facebook or commented on my blog page! I really appreciate the encouragement, commiseration, and love! I am sorry that I cannot reply to everyone. But know that I am always glad to read a comment or wall-post!

Love to all!

Joy

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, Joy. That meal looks really yummy. I am glad that you feel the adjustment happening. I was reading in Nouwen's Gracias book on culture adjustment...thought of you. I sent you a letter today...let me know when you receive it so we know the time it takes to get there. I also wrote to Sophia and Lemlem...:) I haven't seen the Hotel Rwanda movie, but Jesse might have seen it. I love you and am proud of your journey! See you in three months! Lovies, MOMOMOM XXOOxxooXOxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. "besides all that"....ha, as if riots aren't enough for one week!

    i enjoy your spirit, joy, and i love the updates. i will be praying for your schoolwork as i give out homework to the kids here!

    the food looks awesome. i miss beans more than i could've ever thought.

    can't wait to hear more!
    -kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy,
    I'm glad you are settling in, that the riots didn't reach your door, that the food "looks like" what you used to eat at home, and that you are remembering you like to learn and doing all your daily reading (not).

    I'm going to post a photo of the family in the garden on my blog. We harvested one of those watermelon. It could have been left longer, but was wonderfully sweet. Kate claimed it as her own, but was gracious to share it with all of us. You'll see the photo. One more to go, which we'll probably harvest next week.

    Love you. Glad you are in Uganda. What a trip. :)

    ReplyDelete