Monday, October 12, 2009

Kids and Catholics and God is Good!

Hello Everyone!

Sorry this is a day later than usual. Sometimes life just happens.

This weekend I was in Luweero, a town in Uganda. On Saturday we got to go to a Compassion International center and play with 280 kids! At one point I was in a small room absolutely packed with little kids signing and dancing and basically making a mosh pit. Insane! But so fun!! We were in the room because it was raining hippos and elephants outside. I think we could have taken a shower in the downpour and been thoroughly cleaned be end, minus the red mud that would have been all over our feet.

The next day we went to a Catholic Mass. I have never been to a catholic church before, so I was really excited to get to go to one. I have been attending an Anglican church here in Mukono, which has been a very different experience. So I was expecting the Catholic church to feel a little similar (liturgical and formal etc.) but it was way different! First of all, the whole service was in Luganda, so I didn’t understand any of it. But the music was joyful and enthusiastic, and the bible readings were done by lots of different congregational members, from the old to the young. And the Priest who leads the church gave a sermon that was moving and engaging, though I didn’t understand the words. Overall, I loved this church experience. The people were also very welcoming and excited to have us there with them.

This week is going to be full of reading and writing papers (it already has been, in fact) so I need to keep this one short so I can get going on more of that stuff.

Keep up the prayers! And I love getting facebook comments or e-mails or whatever. Snail mail is really really slow, so I don’t recommend it.

Love to all!
Joy

Oh, and I will post pictures later. They are on my friends computer and the internet is kinda slow right now.

1 comment:

  1. ah! i'm so glad to hear about your church experience. i have missed that type of atmosphere here in the church that the school runs. it sounds so refreshing and like such a blessing!

    have a great week! don't let your homework kill your joy :) i'll be praying for sure!

    ReplyDelete